Great tech support and customer service
This review is for the SC530, for which I purchased on cgsulit's site and added software coverage for Mercedes, BMW, and VW/Audi. This review is independent—I paid for these units without any reimbursement. I am not a mechanic, in fact, I’m a psychotherapist for little kids, and a shade-tree enthusiast. It is an amazing time to be alive when so many GenZ and GenX people are ‘Makers’ and ‘Fixers’ and companies like CGSULIT are producing equipment to support that cultural shift!
Since the pros, far, far outweigh the cons--I'll start with the cons------
1. This is a text-based scanner. You have to click through lines of functions and options with mechanical buttons below the small low-definition screen. No touchscreen, not intuitive. Because of it’s basic-ness it only functions off of the car’s battery through the OBD port, when cycling power or unplugging, you will need to reboot the unit each time.
2. There is a basic required knowledge of mechanic-lingo, brand-specific lingo, and in the case of German cars—an ability to muddle-through the German language.
3. This is truly bi-direction —and with that, introduces risk for getting too deep with changes (unmarrying a transmission ECU with the unit, could cost a grand to tow to a dealer for reprogramming!). Beginners can use this—but don’t just mash buttons!
4. Software requires purchase for each cluster of makes. The SC530 always comes with one make of your choice, but if you add for instance, Mercedes/Maybach/Smart/Sprinter package—some makes are more, some are less. (Although it may surprise you, this is also listed as a pro below.
5. Though some features show as bi-directionally accessible through the car’s computer, in my experience, some of these features time-out and don’t actually function across-the-board. Since they update the software regularly, I think you can report functionality issues and hope for it to be addressed in future updates.
Now for the Pros------
1. True Bidirectional scanner. There are no sub $200 scanners---let me rephrase that--- there are no sub $600 scanners that have this feature. Bi-directionality is what makes working on European cars possible. Replace an injector in your 2013 Mercedes, it needs to be recoded—replace the battery in your 2007 7-series Bimmer—it needs to be registered. It is outrageous the simple shade-tree tasks that have to be done at a dealer because you don’t have OE-level Bi-directionality. This scanner is a freak—it literally should not have this capability at this price point. Search any enthusiast forum for Euro cars—this is essential kit from Porsche to Jaguar.
2. You purchase the software for each make (listed above as a Con as well) and own the support and updates for life. Let’s say you buy an Autel MP808k for $799.00. The Autel unit covers every make essentially for that price, it’s certainly bi-directional, more intuitive, touch screen, has internal batter, and about a hundred other benefits. Problem is—it’s about $350 each and every year to update the software—and you can’t just use outdated software to do most of the bi-directional functions like ECU coding or sensor relearning. The cgsulit SC530 is lifetime free updates, which is absolutely crazy and literally the only way to get this support for this price.
3. The cost. Although this is addressed in pro-1, I have to reemphasize the pricepoint. At sub$180, you should only be able to buy something better than a Pepboys code reader. I can’t emphasize enough that the SC530 should not exist with this price, upgradeability cost, or list of functions.
I have had this unit since June of 2020—at the time of this review, approaching two years. I have purchased the above-listed Autel and also an Ancel FX9000 within that timeframe. Those units certainly have benefits over the SC530—but I only consider the SC530 to be the essential scanner within this list.
Be warned this is not your typical code reader. This one gets into the the technical stuff. A lot I have no idea what I was looking at. I learned to use a few of the functions from uTube videos. I learned enough to find out I had a plugged EGR valve and I have to 02 sensors that are bad. I have the shop manuals for my car and the more I study this instrument the more I like it. The best feature I think is the graphing. Watching the operation of the 02 sensors on the graph mode enabled me to locate the bad sensors in a couple of minutes. If you are willing to take the time and learn how to use this scanner, you'll be glad you bought it. I'm very pleased with my purchase. However when you order this, order a case and the extention ribbon. You will want to protect this little jewel. The extention ribbon allows you to hook up to your automobile computer and be able to sit comfortably in the driver's seat while you are doing the test instead of being hunched under the steering wheel. Great scanner, great price!
I found this unit incredibly easy to use. It does way more than I need it to do. It displays a menu right from the start up. I only want to read codes so I have to make sure I click on the correct button. It also does stuff with brakes and airbags that I will not use so I can’t comment on that.
As far as the code reader portion, it works perfectly. It feels high-quality. Even the cable that connects the reader to the car is very thick and sturdy and plugs in easily. The cable has two little thumb screws so that you can securely screw it into the reader while using it. The cable is quite long making it very convenient.
As a bonus the reader comes with a USB cable so that you can update it for newer cars and such. Also included is a carry case. I’ve included pictures in my review so that you can see it.
I feel very comfortable recommending this reader to the backyard mechanic and even semi professional mechanics. I’m sure it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that a hard-core mechanic would need but this thing has a lot of features.
One of the best features is the fact that you don’t have to subscribe to updates every year. It comes with free updates. Just plug it into a computer. I have not updated this one as it is brand new but I am rather confident that it’s an easy process. A well-made product.
I know "paid for itself the first time I used it" is a bit of an overworked phrase, but this meter really did. I was able to diagnose a warning light, find the trouble code, order and install the correct part easily. If you drive a Honda, don't leave home without it.
Used these for a set of wheels that I put snow tires on. Used my TPMS80 to program them. Could not have been easier. I plan on purchasing another set for my other car’s summer wheels.
It works great. I bought this so I can switch my between two sets of rims/tire for RV and normal driving. It beats. having to go to the tire shop every time I rotate or switch rims. It does take a little bit of learning, but they also have easy to understand, helpful tutorials built into software. I don't have a sensor on my spare and it didn't show how to get pass that point. None of the tutorials or anyone online had any answers. After hours of trying, I had to act like I was scanning a sensor and stop it so it would go pass that screen to tell me to plug the machine into the car. Ideally there would be a yes there is a sensor or no there isn't a sensor in my spare to move pass that screen. Hopefully they can fix that with the next update to the software. Besides that headache it is a great machine to add to my home arsenal of tools for working on my truck and cars.
I have 2 porsches and an Audi and do much of my own maintenance on them so I purchased this tool so that I can know what is going on with these high Tech cars. Specifically I needed to be able to reset the maintenance light on the dashboard but picked out this high end device because it does all brands of cars for a small amount of money more than a unit that does just one brand of car. Also it allows me to control other factors such as bleeding the brakes system and replacing a battery. It is easy to use and very intuitive. It comes nicely packaged with a hard plastic case. I recommend this product.
Took a good few days to figure everything out, but does much more than expected.
Takes a little time to get to know the device it has a onscreen keyboard an will connect to the internet an it read a code an give you an understanding of what check engine codes mean good device an value
I found it easy to use and it readily pinpointed the problem with the SRS system. It gives the fault codes and when you push the "?" button it lists probable causes and offers corrective actions to resolve the issue.
I have also had a great experiance with the customer support team. They were very responsive and friendly to work with. The feature that I like the most is that the unit can download specific software for several auto manufacturers.
Great scanner... provides everything a tech needs to properly diagnose MB vehicles.
This scanner can not only diagnose the code warnings that your car is putting out, but it can also reset them after you have addressed the issue. Yes, I can take 15 minutes to reset the new oil level through my steering wheel maintenance menu on my Honda Pilot which is a pain to do, or I can do it with this scanner in 30 seconds or less! The SC880 scanner not only tells you the codes, but it has dummy proofed it for beginners and explains to you the problem. Then if you press the question mark it will tell you if a professional needs to fix it, or if you can do it and then gives you links.
This scanner offers 25 different service functions, along with lifetime free upgrades for the software. This all system diagnostic scanner can check your ABS brakes, your engine, your air bags, your transmission, your chassis system, your electronic braking system, your tire pressure monitoring system, the steering, the AC, the brake assist, as well as battery management systems. Most other scanners don't even give you half of theses functions. This scanner can solve 99.5% of all your vehicles problems, which helps you to make an educated decision.
It gives you a real time data graph that shows exactly what the engine is doing, it offers one-click auto vin so the OBD2 knows exactly the vehicle it is dealing with. You can read codes, erase codes, test and diagnose all with this scanner. It can even tell you if you are going to pass the smog test. This scanner is for both the professional and the novice. It's LED display is straightforward and easy to manage.
The build quality is exceptional on this scanner. Many other scanners out on the market charge you to upgrade the software, but like I said earlier they have included free upgrades. You do not need Blue Tooth or WiFi because the scanner is plug and play. This scanner can turn off annoying warning lights that continue to go off after it's fixed on your dash, which is a requirement during an emissions test.
The scanner also allows you to reset the ABS pressure when bleeding the brakes and getting all the excess air out of them. You can read your transmission temperature in real time and know if an ejector is going out. In all honesty, unless you are a mechanic you will not need this every day, but you will need this from time to time. This is an investment that will last for years, and I highly recommend it!
To start off want to say the tech support started even before I received this CGSULIT SC350 scanner. I received an email a day before it arrived letting me know it was on the way and if anything with setup/use is needed when it arrives to contact them. They advised me other optional manufacturer code scans can be downloaded and used on this tool. When it arrived, it was packaged well in its own case with all the required cables and manuals. I attached to my computer to confirm it was up to date which was very simple and easy to do. I hooked it up to my vehicle (2013 Honda CR-V) and it instantly turned on and went to main menu. I performed the easy vin scan, confirmed the info was correct, and then began messing with all the buttons and scan options. It was so easy to navigate through the options and moved straight into a quick scan. It worked flawlessly and went through 49 different scans. The unit keeps you updated on which vehicle part it was scanning and provided an outcome to each individual scan. I looked at all the other different things it can do from the menu and all of them were there as advertised. I can't wait to get into the things it can do and utilize this tool. I recommend this scan tool.
I like it need the one that does abs to